Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bruce Sutherland: A Legend of the Piano World

Bruce Sutherland (*) is one of the most distinguished of all American classical piano teachers. His pedagogical lineage could be traced back to Beethoven, via Theodor Leschetizky and Carl Czerny. His students, young and adult, are frequent prize winners in national and international competitions. Despite his unique knowledge, fame and expertise, Bruce is one of the most soft-spoken people you could ever meet. I was fortunate enough to study with him for the summer of 1996, at his Santa Monica studio. This was a brief, yet instrumental period in my education as a performer.

(*) Update: Sadly, Mr. Bruce Sutherland passed away early September 2010, shortly after this post had appeared. You may find a link a touching eulogy by Max Levnison at the end of the note. Bruce Sutherland was born on February 26, 1926, and he passed away on Wednesday, September 8, 2010, in Santa Monica, California. Here's a Tribute Page dedicated to him. -- Payman A.

Here is an interview with him before a recent concert in his honor, which had been organized by his most accomplished students, including pianist Max Levinson.
(Payman Akhlaghi)

American Pedagogue, Pianist, Composer
Bruce Sutherland



You may also read Max's eulogy at the following link:

Here's an excerpt of my comment to Max's note:
"Dear Max,

I just came across your post -- and I'm still in shock at the news of Mr. Sutherland's passing. I had written a brief note on him back in July 2010, in my own blog. I had not been in touch with him for many years, but he stayed with me each time I sat at the piano, or whenever I was teaching. I never expected him to go so soon. And I blame myself for not having gone to visit him all these years.

Thanks for writing this touching eulogy.

Best of wishes,
Payman Akhlaghi..."

No comments: